Welcome to the end of the week and another edition of Happy Hour! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your end of the week roundup of all things interesting in the land of money.
There is a disruptive experiment happening in Kansas City. It attacks the very nature of cable/internet providers. Yet, those companies don’t seem too worried about the results. Or aren’t showing their true feelings about it. But they should be.
Kansas City is the test site for Google Fiber. You see, Google has a theory that internet speeds are woefully slow for the current needs of customers. It’s not only about speed, though. Google thinks they can offer a much faster internet service (we’re talking 700Mbps or more). One that includes all your cable TV channels. And do it for less than what your cable provider is charging you now.
We haven’t seen a potential speed increase like this since we went from dialup to cable internet. Only this time, it will affect how we watch TV. Companies like Amazon, Netflix and Disney have already made moves to adapt. It will be interesting to see what new businesses pop up as this becomes widely available.
Behind the scenes have been busier than normal of late. There has been a site redesign in the works for the past several months. It’s almost finished. The goal is to have everything up and running before the holiday (preferably this weekend).
The whole process has taken longer than it should. Since, I chose to do all the work myself. That means, designing, coding and testing. All things I haven’t done in over a decade. The learning process is hard enough without a deadline. In the end, it should result in a more secure, customizable, and mobile friendly site.
So if you happen by and don’t recognize anything. Don’t worry. You’re not lost. It’s just some new paint on the walls.
- If You Must Value The Market – A nice how to guide on valuing the market. Or how to take a value investing approach to index investing.
- How to Avoid Value Traps – Every investor should look for these factors before buying any stock.
- TIPS ETFs Fight Inflation … But Not the Kind You Expect – There’s a big difference between owning TIPS and owning a TIPS fund.
- Goldman’s Top Economist Explains The World’s Most Important Chart – An idea of where the economy might be headed next year and beyond.
- A Warning About That Guy Who Is Beating the Market – A good reminder about setting realistic financial goals.